Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Raising World Changers in a Changing World by Kristen Welch

This book is an eye-opener for sure. It is a book about generosity and one family's journey to not just give a little, but to give their all. Each chapter concludes with a question and answer section with Kristen's children and husband, as well as hands on ideas to help your family become givers.

While I love a lot of the advice given in this book, I also found myself disagreeing with some of the situations in this book. I think this is because I am a "safe" person and parent and I am always trying my best to keep my children safe. I trust God completely, but I also feel like he wants us to be earthly protectors for our children and to not put them into extremely dangerous situations. Some of the instances in this book are a bit extreme. One generosity tip mentioned making your children give up their bed for houseguests. I feel like you have to be very careful not to break your own children while you are in the midst of generosity, because every child is different and could be affected in a negative way. A young child is still growing and developing and their room should be their safe place and their sanctuary and should not have to be given up to a stranger. In this world today, you have to be careful who you invite into your house for your family's safety. While reading this book, I felt like there were many contradictory and judgmental statements. I see nothing wrong with teaching your children to be generous and happy and joyful at the same time. I talk about God, prayer, generosity, kindness, and forgiveness with my son every day. We are not perfect, but we love God and try our best to help others. I appreciate the idea of this book, but I don't feel like some of these extreme examples are the right fit for every family. Thank you to BakerBooks for the chance to review this book! These opinions are honest and are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment