Thursday, September 17, 2020

Missing Isaac by Valerie Fraser Luesse

In 1960s Alabama, farming is a way of life. So when young Pete McLean loses his father in a farming accident, the whole family is devastated. Mr. McLean was a hard-working man who also treated his employees like family, especially his good friend Isaac. In spite of their different lifestyles, Isaac takes Pete under his wing. Sadly, Pete has to deal with the heartbreak of loss again when Isaac disappears and no one seems to know what happened to him. Pete takes matters into his own hands and goes way out into the backwoods in search of Isaac. He doesn't find Isaac, but he does stumble upon a young girl named Dovey and his life is never the same again.

If I could think of one word to describe Valerie Fraser Luesse, it would be "storyteller." She definitely has a way with words. I could really relate to the southern mannerisms in this book since I am from Alabama as well. I especially loved the humorous church scene because it reminded me of my own church family. I also loved the relationship between sweet Dovey and Pete and the way he treated her like a lady should be treated. However, I could have done without the relationship between Dovey and Pete's parents. I just felt like that was too strange of a relationship for me and it didn't feel like it fit in with the story. I also felt like there were some loose ends that weren't tied up at the end of the book and sometimes it felt like there were just too many side stories going on. Nevertheless, this book kept me flipping the pages and I love this author's style of writing. Thank you so much to the author, publisher, and bookishfirst for the chance to read and review this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment