Tuesday, July 2, 2019

The Very Best, Hands-on, Kinda Dangerous Family Devotions by Tim Shoemaker

This is what you call a one of a kind, definitely unique, kinda crazy devotional. I doubt you have ever read a devotional like this. This book contains 52 activities that demonstrate God's Word to kids and families in a way that will leave a lasting impression. Each activity has a Biblical lesson that goes along with it. The activities are categorized by age range and danger level. Some of the lessons will take some time and extra effort while some are simple and easy to execute.

This book has a very specific audience and will not be a hit with every reader. The readers who will appreciate and benefit from this book are ones who are out-of-the-box thinkers and risk-takers. While I was excited to read this book, it was much different than I thought it would be and it turned out that it was not my cup of tea. I cannot really relate to this book as I have young children and this book is more relevant for tweens and teens. I am also a very cautious person, so the "kinda dangerous" activities scream "really dangerous" to me. I kept picturing emergency room trips in my future if I attempted these stunts. This book is geared towards families, but I really think it would be better used in a youth group. There were only maybe a handful of these activities I would even think about trying with my young children. On a high note, I did really like the glow stick activity(#45) and thought it was a great visual. Also, the author does a great job of providing instructions and safety precautions throughout the book to help prevent injury.

I understand the author's reason for writing this book because sometimes it takes a different approach to relate to children. Even though I am not in the target audience for this book, I appreciate the message the author is sending and the attempt to share God's Word in a unique way. Thank you so much to Revell for the chance to read and review this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment